Tuesday 23 July 2013

what I typically eat at home

Growing up, I have always been somewhat healthy. My parents are pretty strict with junk food and you will never find anything remotely related a snack in my house. In fact, my friends hated coming over to my house because all they could find to eat was cheese and bread. I guess it was a good habit that they got me into since now I consider myself to eat considerably healthy, well at least a lot healthier than my friends and roomies. I try to eat as little processe foods as possible Another thing I wanted to mention was that I can not skip a meal. No matter what the situation is, I have to eat or drink something when meal time comes. Actually, just recently I suspect that I got a mild stomach ulcer from not eating real food for just two days. Anyways, I think it is extremely important to keep a balanced, regular and healthy food schedule in order to live a healthy life. Remember, what you eat now will catch up to you when you get older, and there always that saying: You are what you eat. 

With that being said, let me show you what I consume on a typical day 

BREAKFAST: Banana pancakes made from scratch


Ingredients (3 medium sized pancakes): 

1 ripe banana, mashed
1 egg
1/2 cup of flour    
1 teaspoon of  baking powder
1 pinch of salt
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
2 or 3 tablespoons of melted butter or vegetable oil   
1 tablespoon sugar (optional)

Instructions:

1. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, mix together egg, butter/oil, milk, vanilla extract and mashed banana. 
2. Stir flour mixture into wet mixture. The batter will be slightly lumpy
3. Set stove to medium high and add 1/3 of your mixture to a non stick pan. Flip when you see bubbles forming. Cook each side for about 1-2 minutes. Repeat for the other two pancakes and you're done! 
I served mine with some fresh blueberries . If it's not sweet enough for you, some maple syrup or honey will go great with these pancakes. 

For 3 pancakes would be approximately 350-400 calories. Server with a cup of milk or your morning coffee makes a delicious healthy breakfast that will definitely fill you up until lunch time. 


LUNCH: Grilled Chicken Caesar salad 

This dish is incredibly easy to make and prepare. I just grill a piece chicken breast with salt and pepper until golden brown. For Caesar salad, I only use romaine lettuce, it just tastes the best. Add salad dressing and top with cut chicken bites and you have one of the best tasting meals in the world.
                   
Tip: Instead of drowning your salad in Caesar dressing, substitute half with Greek yogurt ! 
                                           

DINNER: "Instant noodles"

I recommend to try limit your carbs intake to 1 or 2 meals a day. The best would be to eat it in the morning and for lunch and stick to protein and veggies for dinner. With that being said, I usually eat the largest meal for lunch and have a very light dinner because I hate going to bed feeling full and undigested. 

Since I passed on the carbs for lunch, I wanted to make some sort of noodles packed with veggies for dinner. Of course, being an university student all I had was instant noodles (fail). But this is my super healthy version of instant noodles, cooked with bokchoy and egg. I only used half the pack of instant noodles. 


Have you ever heard the saying "I have a separate stomach for dessert"... well I have a separate stomach for ice cream. It is horrible I know but a girl needs to indulge once in a while. My friend ended up bringing ice cream over and we finished the whole tub in one sitting. I am a big believer in not depriving yourself because that never ends up well. Moderation is key

So now you have taken a peak at what I eat at home. Keep in mind that I definitely do not eat like this everyday. For half the days, I end up substituting a meal with a Starbucks drink or fruit. 

In another post I will go into detail about my workout routine (which is still under construction as I fight my laziness) but I try to go for a walk after every meal. Either to class or to the library or out with friends. This will make a big difference to your diet and exercise routine.