Monday 27 January 2014

Natural Makeup for Work

If you read my last post, you would know that I am currently suffering from a very dangerous illness, makeup hoarding. I have been buying a lot of makeup recently and trying out new products. Although I love testing out these new purchases, there are still a few items that are permanently encrusted into my makeup routine that I buy as soon as it runs out. So in this post, I will be sharing you my every day natural make up look that is suitable for a professional work setting. Trust me when I say this, if I was allowed to come to the office with a bare face, I would be more than happy to. But for the sake of my colleagues and customers that actually have to look at me, it is necessary to deceive them into thinking that I'm actually awake and ready to work. 

Every weekday, my annoying alarm interrupts my peaceful sleep at 6:45am so you can just imagine how well my brain is functioning that early in the morning. I start the day by washing my face (solely with water, no cleanser...will explain that later), followed by toner and a daytime moisturizer, often with SPF. Ever since I have discovered the magic of primer and the difference it makes to my skin, my makeup routine is not the same without it. After applying my Laura Mercier primer, I use my well loved beauty blender along with one pump of my Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua foundation.
Foundation Primer - Hydratingbeautyblender®

On certain days where I wake up with excessive self pride and confidence, the this whole foundation step is skipped and proceed to concealer. On the other hand, some days I wake up with blotchy skin (why does this happen to us girls, life sucks), so I will use my Kat Von D tattoo concealer to cover any imperfections until my heart is content. I recently got a sample of the Givenchy Mister Light corrective pen which I have been using for under eyes and highlighting the bridge of my nose. I always finish off my face makeup with a setting powder; I've been loving the Cover FX Illuminating setting powder. It leaves my face with a natural glow without looking like a vampire straight out of the Twilight series.

Mister Light Instant Light Corrective Pen Lock-It Tattoo ConcealerIlluminating Setting Powder

As for blush and bronzer, I like to switch it up. Some days, I will wear only bronzer, and some days only blush. Also, sometimes I feel like wearing both. It all depends how I'm feeling that day. My favourite blushes are definitely the Tarte Amazonian Clay 24 hour blushes.

Eye makeup is usually where I tend to change it up depending on the occasion. For work, I like to keep my eyes neutral but make them appear more awake than they actually are. Once in a while, I do leave the house without eye makeup, unintentionally of course, and have a little freak out when I realize that my eyes are bare. Anyways, I only have a total of 15 minutes to get ready from the time I wake up to the time I have to be downstairs and ready to leave. Therefore I usually quickly apply one neutral eyeshadow, often in the brown or taupe colour family, on my eyelids followed by liquid eyeliner. In fact, I can probably do this under 30 seconds. The Kat Von D liquid liner makes it very convenient to draw a thin line in one stroke. If I have time remaining for my eyebrows, I will go in with my holy grail Anastasia eyebrow wiz. It is truly amazing!


Tattoo LinerNaked PaletteBrow Wiz

Mascara is one of those products that I will only touch if I have more than a couple of minutes to get ready. Today, I had extra time in the morning so why not spend that time on my lashes. First I use the Shu Uemura eyelash curler (by far the best curler I have ever tried) for about 10 seconds on each eye. Then I apply one coat of my Em by Michelle Phan waterproof mascara which holds the curl and lengthens my lashes. Occasionally, I will finish off with another coat of a different mascara for added volume. 




I definitely have an abundance of lip products so I like to change it up quite a bit just so I don't put my extensive collection to waste. Today, I opted for a bright lip red by applying Benetint and Revlon lip butter. However, it doesn't stay on long since I eat breakfast at work and I'm too lazy to re-apply during the day. 


Overall, I just enjoy the fact that makeup enhances your features. I usually go for a fresh no-makeup makeup look that makes me look professional yet youthful. Also, I can get away with wearing more casual clothes if my makeup is at par.

Please ignore my messy hair. I often only have time for one process.... hair or makeup and most of the time, the face wins.

For more detailed reviews on most of these products, check out my Beauty Favourites of 2013 post